17 Jul 2015
As we have since July 2006, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other items of interest. Below is our latest Friday Sampler.
1) Starting tomorrow, Patrick A and Patrick S will be reporting live from the 83rd annual International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers Association (IPCPR) Trade Show. Check StogieGuys.com throughout the day on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday as we post information, videos, photos, and more. The annual gathering of cigar manufacturers, retailers, suppliers, and media is closed to consumers. It will feature many new cigars and cigar accessories, along with seminars on government affairs, how to get and keep good customers, and steps retailers can take to improve their businesses. This will be the first Trade Show since IPCPR announced it was moving its headquarters from Georgia to Washington, DC. The last time the event was held in New Orleans was 2010 (before New Orleans implemented its recent smoking ban). Following the event, expect a flurry of reviews and information about new releases. For now, you can check out some of our pre-IPCPR coverage here, here, and here.
2) Cubanacan Cigars was evidently very surprised to learn (via the media, no less) that cigar maker and Cuban tobacco grower Hirochi Robaina would be leaving Cubanacan for La Palina, and was planning on taking his HR brand with him. “Though we are all still in shock about Mr. Robaina’s decision, we are not surprised,” wrote Robert Mederos, owner of Cubanacan, in a press release. “Do not mistake our initial silence for acquiescence. We are deeply saddened that we even have to respond to actions that speak louder than words in the court of public opinion, and these actions do seem to be well planned and executed, having caused irreparable damage to our company… We hold dear the freedom of speech this nation grants us to have a voice, but along with it there are also consequences and we feel in this case these actions will have to be resolved not on the grounds of perception, confusion, and internet fiction but on the grounds of facts presented through due process in a court of law.” When asked if a lawsuit is being seriously considered, or who Cubanacan thinks owns the HR brand, a Cubanacan spokesman declined to comment.
3) This year marks the 20th anniversary of the Fuente Fuente Opus X (FFOX) line. To celebrate, Prometheus is offering FFOX 20th Anniversary Father and Son Humidors, which come with 50 vintage Fuente Aged Selection cigars. Each humidor (MSRPP $4,000) includes two FFOX Original Belicosos, which were made in 1994 and have never been released. Only 200 of the limited edition 20th Anniversary Father and Son Humidors will be made.
4) Inside the Industry: Drew Estate announced yesterday that the Liga Privada Único Serie Ratzilla would be launched as a limited release to retailers participating in Drew Estate’s Drew Diplomat Retailer Program. The Ratzilla (6.25 x 46) is one of the most sought-after blends in the Liga Privada Único Serie line and has only seen a handful of retail releases to date. This release will make the largest Ratzilla production ever.
5) Deal of the Week: This “Silver Tray Sampler” includes five cigars for $26, but don’t wait too long to cash in (the deal ends tomorrow). Included are the Padrón Ambassador Maduro, Quesada Q40 Salomon, Oliva Serie O Toro, Gurkha Wicked Indie Toro, and La Flor Domnicana Colorado Oscuro #2.
photo credit: IPCPR