22 Aug 2014
As we have since July 2006, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other items of interest. Below is our latest Friday Sampler.
1) Officials in Oregon are aiming to criminalize cigar smoking on all 362 miles of the state’s Pacific coast beaches. The move follows the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department Commission outlawing smoking in state parks earlier this year. “The proposed rules banning smoking have generated a significant amount of controversy from those who say banning smoking on the coast is unenforceable, an overreaction, and represents a slippery slope in terms of rule-making,” reports the Statesman Journal. “If the rule passed, the only place visitors could light up is in their cars, in campsites, or in designated rest areas. Fines for breaking the rule could reach $60 and $110.”
2) Next month, Arturo Fuente will be shipping a new size of its famed Añejo line. Called “Reserva,” the figurado vitola will measure 6.6 inches long with a ring gauge of 44. The head will have a narrowed stub to enable concentration of the smoke. Añejo sports the same binder and filler tobaccos as OpusX, but it includes a Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper.
3) Contest: StogieGuys.com readers who register at CigarsFor.Me this week will once again be registered to win a free five-pack of cigars. CigarsFor.me specializes in recommending customers the perfect premium cigars without having to go through endless hours of research. Users simply fill out their quick Palate Profile and instantly they’re shown cigars that they’ll love. It’s fun, easy, and this week you can win free smokes. Click here. Congrats to last week’s winner: Brad Willoughby of Yuba City, CA.
4) Inside the Industry: Davidoff is adding a new Diadema size to it’s Davidoff Nicaragua line. The figuardo (6.5 x 50) features a Habano-seed Nicaragua Rosado wrapper aged ten years, a Habano Jalapa binder, and filler from Estelí, Condega, and Ometepe.
5) Deal of the Week: Like Drew Estate? Check this out: Buy select boxes from Drew Estate and Joya de Nicaragua lines and get a Drew Estate hat and an Undercrown Toro six-pack for free. Retail value on the extras is $62.70.
photo credit: Flickr