6 Dec 2013
As we have since July 2006, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other items of interest. Below is our latest Friday Sampler.
1) The third annual Nicaragua Puro Sabor festival is slated for January 15-17 and will be held in Managua and Estelí. The event is organized by the Nicaraguan Cigar Association (NCA), which exists to promote the recognition of cigars produced on Nicaraguan soil. It will “gather personalities, investors, buyers, and aficionados who will share experiences and industry know-how, showcasing the attributes and qualities of our land and our people, while enjoying international award-winning cigars,” said NCA President Nestor Plasencia in a press release. Included will be Nicaraguan cuisine, cigar and rum tastings, and visits to tobacco plantations and cigar factories. Tickets are being sold here for $640-690 apiece until December 15.
2) The Hill reports that the impending FDA regulation of cigars is currently under review at the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA). “OIRA routinely hosts meetings with industry groups and other stakeholders while it reviews new regulations,” reads the article. “The events are typically one-sided; representatives from businesses and other organizations make their cases, but rarely do administration officials give clues to reveal the expected contents of the pending regulation.” More details are expected to emerge before the end of the month. StogieGuys.com has been writing about this for years, and considers the FDA regulation of premium cigars to be the single greatest threat facing cigar rights.
3) Inside the Industry: General Cigar Senior Vice President and respected cigar ambassador Benji Menendez is retiring this year. General Cigar will release a new Partagas Benji Homage 62 cigar in two sizes, to commemorate Beji’s 62 years in the cigar industry.
4) Around the Blogs: Stogie Review reviews Don Pepin Garcia 10th Anniversary. Nice Tight Ash checks out Bonita 18th Anniversary Blend. Tiki Bar kicks back with Revere 262 Lancero. Cigar Inspector inspects Tatuaje Havana VI. Stogie Fresh fires up an AKA Respect.
5) Deal of the Week: Emerson’s has a bevy of holiday samplers. You’d especially want to consider the Montecristo four-pack for $20 or the Romeo y Julieta four-pack for just $15.
photo credit: Nicaragua Puro Sabor