29 Aug 2014
As we have since July 2006, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other items of interest. Below is our latest Friday Sampler.
1) This week Drew Estate announced “Tienda Exclusiva by Willy Herrera,” a “concept cigar” made in “extremely small batches” at La Gran Fabrica Drew Estate. Each Tienda Exclusiva (Spanish for “store exclusive”) will be crafted for one particular retailer, and there will only be a few releases each year. The first retailer to win this distinction is Barrister Cigars in Union, New Jersey. The cigars will sell for $12 apiece at Barrister starting on September 2. “I recommend you don’t sleep on this one,” said Jonathan Drew. “These are one and done. Willy has a lot on his plate right now as Master Blender of La Gran Fabrica Drew Estate. As I’ve said before, ‘boutique is in the heart’ and Willy has spent so much time creating and experimenting with blends. We have some real gems out of the blends he has worked on. Now it’s time to get them into production.” If you can’t make it to Barrister, you can enter to win the first box of this Tienda Exclusiva release here.
2) Camacho, which is owned by Davidoff, is now available in the Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, and Quebec provinces of Canada. “Our success with the re-launch of Camacho now spans across six countries and two continents,” said Dylan Austin, director of marketing for Davidoff. “Even though Canada is one of the more restrictive markets for premium cigars, we have big plans for this new territory…”
3) Contest: StogieGuys.com readers who register at CigarsFor.Me this week will once again be registered to win a free five-pack of cigars. CigarsFor.me specializes in recommending customers the perfect premium cigars without having to go through endless hours of research. Users simply fill out their quick Palate Profile and instantly they’re shown cigars that they’ll love. It’s fun, easy, and this week you can win free smokes. Click here. Congrats to last week’s winner: Jacob McCraw.
4) Inside the Industry: Drew Estate has begun shipping the Undercrown Flying Pig to U.S. retailers. Also starting to arrive in select shops is the Laranja Reserva from Espinosa Cigars, which features a Brazilian Laranja wrapper around Nicaraguan binder and filler tobaccos.
5) Deal of the Week: This five-cigar sampler sports a nice variety of fine cigars. Just $26 gets you one each of the CAO Gold Churchill, Oliva Connecticut Torpedo, Nat Sherman Timeless 660, Four Kicks Robusto Extra, and Gran Vida Maduro Robusto.
photo credit: Drew Estate