11 Mar 2016
As we have since July 2006, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other items of interest. Below is our latest Friday Sampler.
1) As the FDA’s proposed final rule awaits approval at the Office of Management and Budget, StogieGuys.com would like to join Cigar Rights of America (CRA) in applauding the federal legislators who are cosponsoring efforts in the Senate and House to exempt cigars from the forthcoming devastating regulations. There are currently 161 cosponsors of the “Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act” in the House—the newest additions are Tom Marino (R-PA), Rick Allen (R-GA), Scott Rigell (R-VA), and Rodney Davis (R-IL)—and 21 cosponsors in the Senate, the latest of which is Steve Daines (R-MT). “With Daines’ support, S. 441 now has five states—Florida, Pennsylvania, Arkansas, South Carolina, and Montana—where both United States Senators are co-sponsors,” according to a CRA email. “Of those five states, Florida, Pennsylvania, and Montana have bi-partisan delegations, and their support demonstrates that protecting the small business premium cigar industry, the rights of consumers, and the jobs provided by the industry is not a partisan issue, but one that draws from both sides of the aisle.”
2) Avo is adding to its Improvisation Series with the new 90th Classic Covers Volume 3. “Avo XO, a blend that stands as a true mark of quality, has been ‘covered’ with tobaccos from Ecuador and Mexico,” according to an Avo press release. “Presented in an elegant Toro (6 x 54) format, the 90th Classic Covers blend utilizes 6 different tobaccos spanning across 3 different countries, all working in harmony to deliver a remarkably unique and richly complex flavor profile. The filler is composed from rare Dominican tobaccos aged for 10 and 11 years, cradled by the Mexican Negro San Andrés binder leaf and elegantly finished with a Habano 2000 Claro wrapper from Ecuador.” Only 3,500 boxes of 18 cigars will be made with singles retailing for $16.90.
3) Inside the Industry: The Cuban cigar festival wrapped up last week. An announcement by Habanos S.A., the Cuban national cigar company and distributor, gave a glimpse into the size and scope of the Cuban cigar industry. Habanos announced annual revenues for 2015 reached $428 million, a slight increase from the previous year. About 55% of sales were to Europe and the rest were equally split between the Americas (including Cuba), the Middle East, Africa, and the Asia Pacific.
4) From the Archives: With warm weather coming up, even for those of us still suffering through the last vestiges of winter, it’s time to start getting ready for summertime smoking. Back in 2013, we put together a guide to help you with what you need to know, from refreshing your humidor for hot weather to picking out the right chilled beverage to accompany a cigar by the pool.
5) Deal of the Week: One of the harder cigars to find, the Liga Privada Dirty Rat is currently in stock at Famous Smoke. Order a box today and land a free sampler of seven full-bodied Nicaraguan cigars.
photo credit: SteveDaines.com