18 Jul 2008
In our ongoing effort to make StogieGuys.com as entertaining and informative as possible, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other snippets of interest. We call ‘em Friday Samplers. Enjoy.
1) Winston Churchill may be the all-time most towering individual in the world of cigars, but he’s got nothing on Jack Priestly. This English grandfather of six recently celebrated his 100th birthday—despite smoking ten cigars a day for 91 years. “Since his first puff in 1917 he has smoked 153,000 cigars and 715,400 cigarettes and drunk a shot of whisky in his morning cup of tea every day since the age of 24. He has not suffered any serious health problems related to smoking or drinking,” reports the Telegraph.
2) This is a final reminder to DC-area Stogie Guys to come out to Morton’s in Reston Town Center on Monday, July 21 for a special event with Paul Garmirian Cigars. For a mere $220, you’ll get five courses of Morton’s signature cuisine paired with fine wines and premium Paul Garmirian smokes—not to mention a chance to dine with Patrick A and Patrick S. See the Special Events tab for more details and to register. Patrick S spoke with Paul Garmirian’s son Kevork about the dinner at the IPCPR show in Las Vegas, and he promised an event you won’t want to miss.
3) Inside the Industry: Rocky Patel will be releasing a cigar called the Renaissance this fall (details are sketchy at this point, but look for a Stogie Guys review in the next few weeks). J.C. Newman Cigars is working with the Fuentes on a fuller-bodied Diamond Crown Maximus called the “Julius Caesar” to come out in 2009. For more industry news be sure to read StogieGuys.com’s coverage of this week’s IPCPR Trade Show.
4) Around the Blogs: Stogie Review reviews the Ashton Aged Maduro. Cigar Jack smokes the Ashton ESG. Cigar Spy lights up a Cabaiguan. Cigar Inspector inspects an Oliva Serie V. Keepers of the Flame continues its vertical review of the Padrón line with the Panetela.
5) Deal of the Week: Try out the brand new Macanudo 1968 with this special offer from General Cigars. For just $9.95, including shipping, you get three different sticks from the blend. Grab yours here.