10 Oct 2008
In our ongoing effort to make StogieGuys.com as entertaining and informative as possible, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other snippets of interest. We call ‘em Friday Samplers. Enjoy.
1) Atlantic City was poised to enact a smoking ban next week, but city officials backed off when casinos and union bosses protested. Their newfound argument? The worsening economic condition has both groups fearing “deep losses and significant layoffs if smokers take their money elsewhere.”
2) DC’s Teatro Goldini restaurant now has a stogie-inspired appetizer. Chef Enzo Fargione’s carpaccio branzino features fish, onions, peas, and mushrooms served in a smoky cigar box.
3) Boston’s cigar bars may be doomed as bureaucrats threaten to revoke their exemption from the smoking ban. According to the Boston Globe, “Dr. Barbara Ferrer, director of the city’s Public Health Commission, said she doesn’t want any more young people to pick up deadly habits. She said she wants to ‘de-normalize’ smoking.”
4) Inside the Industry: The latest version of Altadis’ Playboy Cigars was recently launched at the P&L Club in Central Hong Kong. With the help of Altadis, a Ft. Lauderdale cigar shop owner has been convicted of selling counterfeit cigars. Flor de Copan won European Cigar Cult Journal‘s “Best Brand from Honduras” award.
5) Around the Blogs: The Box Press smokes the Sabor Cubano. Stogie Review reviews a Puros Indios Viejo. Cigar Jack lights up a Dunhill Aged Dominican. Keepers of the Flame checks out a Fundación Ancestral.
6) Deal of the Week: This “Ten Most Wanted” sampler features ten of the biggest names in stogies at less than $3 per stick. Included are cigars by Rocky Patel, CAO, Alec Bradley, Cohiba, Toraño, and Gurkha. Get yours here.
photo credit: Flickr