13 Feb 2009
In our ongoing effort to make StogieGuys.com as entertaining and informative as possible, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other items of interest. We call ‘em Friday Samplers. Enjoy.
1) According to TMZ, Gurkha Cigars offered Michael Phelps $25,000 to become their official “smokesperson.” After a photo of Phelps smoking a bong was made public, the company reportedly wrote to the 14-time gold medal winner: “We would like to provide you with the opportunity to do what you do best—smoke and swim. And while we can’t help you with your swimming skills, we can definitely offer you the best of the best when it comes to the cigar world.”
2) Virginia, a state built on tobacco, is nearing a compromise that would impose a smoking ban on the commonwealth. As it stands now, the law would be one of the weakest statewide bans because it includes exemptions for clubs and businesses that are off-limits to minors. But lawmakers in Richmond, including Gov. Tim Kaine, are scrambling to make the proposed regulation more cumbersome.
3) The Cigar Family Charitable Foundation, a philanthropic venture of the Fuente and Newman families, continues to do important work for the people of the Dominican Republic’s rural tobacco-growing region. The organization’s activities include providing medical treatment, helping students graduate from vocational training programs, and running various community development initiatives. The Foundation is likely to take a hit due to SCHIP, so we encourage you to donate.
4) Inside the Industry: Habanos is introducing the Montecristo Open, a new, milder extension of its Cuban Montecristo line. CAO’s Cx2 blend is now only available from Famous Smoke Shop. Famous also rolled out exclusive blends celebrating 70 years of business, including a three-size line by Perdomo and a box-pressed Padrón Robusto reportedly based on the 1964 blend.
6) Deal of the Week: While Alec Bradley’s Tempus hogged the spotlight and the highest ratings, don’t overlook the well-aged Harvest Selection ’97. At $20 for 8 smokes, this deal is a great way to try Tempus’ slightly milder brother. Grab yours here.
photo credit: Flickr