25 Feb 2011
As we have since July 2006, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other items of interest. Below is our latest Friday Sampler.
1) The 13th annual Habanos Festival concludes today, wrapping up a week-long extravaganza of Cuban cigars, factory tours, seminars, tastings, and plantation visits. This year’s event pays special homage to Montecristo, Partagas, and H. Upmann, with each brand debuting new cigars. Forthcoming releases include the Montecristo No. 2 Gran Reserva, Partagas Serie E No. 2 and Serie D No. 5, and H. Upmann Half Corona. Habanos SA is hoping these sizes boost sales in 2011 and continue the Cuban cigar industry’s rebound after tough years in 2008 and 2009. But there is still cause for concern. “Although Cuba’s cigar industry is cautiously optimistic about the future, officials are worried by developments in their biggest market: Spain,” reports The Telegraph. “In the grip of a financial crisis, Spanish cigar smokers are cutting back on Cuban cigars to save money, while a recently introduced ban on smoking in enclosed public spaces has also hit sales.”
2) Last Saturday, Patrick A was a featured guest at The Cigar Authority, a live internet show that’s simulcast on several New England radio stations. Click here to check out the video (Patrick’s segment starts around 1:09 and ends around 1:30, but the whole show is worth checking out). And be sure to tune in to The Cigar Authority every Saturday from noon to 2pm eastern.
3) Inside the Industry: Jon Huber, formerly the marketing manager and all around public personality for CAO Cigars, has joined forces with three other former CAO employees to start up Crowned Heads Cigars, which will be based in CAO’s former home of Nashville (details of Huber’s final days at CAO can be found here). Altadis USA launched a new website as part of their restructuring that splits off their premium handmade cigars from their domestic machine-made cigars. Davidoff of New York is the home of a new limited edition Torpedo (5.5 x 52) from My Father Cigars. The 2011 Avo limited edition will be a Dominican puro in a perfecto shape.
4) Around the Blogs: Tiki Bar smokes La Sirena The Prince. Smoking Stogie fires up the Federal Cigar 90th Anniversary 109 Rosado. Stogie Review reviews the My Father Le Bijou. Cigar Fan lights up the Alec Bradley Sun Grown. Nice Tight Ash checks out the Zino Embassy 2010. Raleigh Cigars enjoys the Liga Privada T-52. Cigar Inspector inspects the Viaje Satori. The top cigar on YourCigarRatings.com is the Tatuaje Monster Series The Frank.
5) Deal of the Week: Our friends at Citizen Cigar are offering $5 off any box under $75 and $10 off any box over $75. Signing up for the Citizen Cigar newsletter gets you an additional 10% off, so make your purchase today.
photo credit: Habanos Festival