6 Apr 2012
As we have since July 2006, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other items of interest. Below is our latest Friday Sampler.
1) A ban on outdoor tobacco advertising, instituted by officials in Worcester, Massachusetts, was declared unconstitutional this week by a federal judge. “In his decision, [U.S. District Judge Douglas Woodlock] said the city has no legitimate interest in prohibiting ‘non-misleading advertising’ to adults to prevent them from making decisions of which the city disapproves,” reported CSNews.com. “The judge also ruled that the city failed to show that the outdoor advertising regulations are more extensive than necessary to advance its substantial interest in preventing underage tobacco use.… Worcester City Solicitor David Moore said city officials were disappointed by the ruling, but hadn’t yet decided whether they would appeal the case.”
2) From now until the end of June, everyday cigar enthusiasts have the opportunity to help select the next new CAO blend. The “Last Stick Standing” promotion makes three-pack tins available at select cigar shops, each comprised of three different blends that have been in development (and each one named “C”, “A”, or “O”). After sampling each, CAO fans can vote here to decide which cigar will be released later this year, or in early 2013.
3) Inside the Industry: Rocky Patel is introducing a Candela version of the Edge blend in a toro size. La Aurora is launching a Salomon (7.25 x 52, the same size that was used for the Puro Vintage 2003) to its 107 line that will begin shipping next month and will retail for around $12 and come in boxes of 8.
4) Around the Blogs: Tiki Bar kicks back with a RoMa Craft Intemperance EC XVII Faith. Cigar Brief smokes the Punch Rare Corojo and Rare Corojo Limited. Cigar Brief fires up a Room 101 San Andreas. Cigar Fan lights up a Padilla Artemis. Nice Tight Ash checks out the La Traviata Luminoso. Stogie Review reviews a Quesada Q D’Etat Molotov.
5) Deal of the Week: Famous Smoke is offering offering some valuable coupon deals on it’s wide selection of cigars. Click here and enter coupon code “SAV15IMPRD” at checkout to save $15 on orders of $100 or more, or click here and enter coupon code “FRSHPIMPRD” to get free shipping on orders $50 or more.
photo credit: Google Maps