14 Dec 2012
As we have since July 2006, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other items of interest. Below is our latest Friday Sampler.
1) Michael Jordan is set to move into his new 28,000-square-foot, $12.4 million home, which sits on 3 acres along Jack Nicklaus’ Bear Club, an exclusive golf course in Florida. A longtime cigar fan, the former NBA superstar and current majority owner of the Charlotte Bobcats took his passion for the leaf into account when building his palace. According to TMZ, Jordan will have “a giant state-of-the-art home theater…outfitted with special equipment made to handle mass amounts of cigar smoke.” His property will also boast a pool house, a guest house, and a two-story guard house. Jordan previously had a $29 million home outside Chicago.
2) If you’ve ever been in the market for a humidor, you’ve surely noticed humidor retailers including estimated cigar capacities (60-count, 150-count, etc.) along with their product specs. And you’ve probably also come to learn that such estimates are typically inflated. To address this issue, the folks at HumidorDiscount.com have created a nifty humidor calculator that tells you how many cigars (you pick the brand/size) will fit in a humidor, given its dimensions. The calculator will even tell you if the cigars should be arranged vertically or horizontally.
3) Washington has had a smoking ban in place for years. But in light of the state’s recent legalization of marijuana, one bar owner in Olympia is telling patrons they can smoke—as long as they’re not smoking tobacco. He “appears to be the first restaurant or bar owner in the state to test the recently expanded limits on recreational marijuana use,” according to CNBC. “Federal, state, and local officials appear unsure” if he is breaking the law.
4) Inside the Industry: CAO is reportedly releasing a “Left Coast” regional cigar (although the “left coast” region apparently includes pretty much everything west of the Mississippi river). The unusual cigar (6.75 x 72) will be trapezoidal-shaped and come in boxes of 14.
5) Around the Blogs: Stogie Review reviews the Crowned Heads Four Kicks Mule Kick. Nice Tight Ash checks out the Dona Flor CC Bahia Blend. Casa Fumando smokes the Crémo Classic Maduro. A Cigar Smoker lights up the Rocky Patel 50th Anniversary.
6) Deal of the Week: A few people noticed that when Corona Cigar launched their new website, the link to the Corona Stogie Guys Sampler was broken. Now it’s fixed. And it’s still a great deal, with 7 cigars for just $29.95, including limited Davidoff and Avo cigars.
photo credit: Flickr