11 Jan 2013
As we have since July 2006, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other items of interest. Below is our latest Friday Sampler.
1) A judge has dismissed the outdoor smoking ban for beaches in Sarasota County, ruling only the Florida legislature can declare such laws in the state. “Sarasota County Attorney Steven DeMarsh notified Sarasota commissioners just this week that a recent court decision declared the local government does not have the authority to ban smoking in public outdoor areas,” according to the local NBC affiliate. Florida has been under a statewide indoor smoking ban since 2003. This recent ruling affirms the prohibition on municipalities from regulating smoking to a stricter degree.
2) Today Riverside Cigars in Jeffersonville, Indiana, is hosting the national release of two new sizes of Los Regalos Quetzal by Emilio Cigars. Attendees of the free event will enjoy raffles, cigars, specialty cocktails, and the opportunity to meet Gary Griffith and Nate McIntyre of Emilio. Los Regalos Quetzal is manufactured in Estelí and features an Ecuadorian Habano wrapper around Nicaraguan tobaccos.
3) Inside the Industry: L’Atelier is preparing multiple new projects for 2013, including L’Atelier Maduro (slated for a June/July release) and a new Surrogate or two. Also a new L’Atelier vitola, the LAT 46SS, is scheduled for an April release.
4) Around the Blogs: Stogie Review checks out the new Civil Cigar Lounge. Tiki Bar kicks back with a Nat Sherman Timeless Nicaragua. Cigar Inspector inspects a Recluse Toro. Cigar Fan fires up a La Musa Mοῦσα.
5) Deal of the Week: Here’s a nice little sampler for coffee lovers. Just $35 gets you five each of Java by Rocky Patel and Tabak Especial, both made at La Gran Fabrica Drew Estate.
photo credit: Flickr