18 Jan 2013
As we have since July 2006, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other items of interest. Below is our latest Friday Sampler.
1) There’s still time to win a pair of tickets ($1,000 value) to Ron “Jaws” Jaworski’s Super Bowl cigar party in New Orleans, and Jaws will personally be selecting the winner. The former NFL quarterback and current ESPN analyst’s event will feature top-notch premium cigars, single-malt scotch, and plenty of NFL and ESPN celebrities. All you have to do is leave a comment on this post about your favorite cigar-related sports celebration.
2) Many StogieGuys.com readers know Matt Krimm and John Anderson (right) as the proprietors of W. Curtis Draper, the oldest tobacconist in the District of Columbia. On Monday, the duo opened the doors of their newest venture—Civil Cigar Lounge, a new smoke-friendly locale in Washington’s Friendship Heights neighborhood. Civil is equipped with a state-of-the-art air ventilation system, plush seating for over 90 patrons, 125 personalized cigar lockers, a full bar, and a menu designed by an adjacent restaurant.
3) Remember our “Win a Big Box of Cigar Swag” contest? We’re pleased to announce David of Kirkville, New York, has been randomly selected as the winner. Please join us in congratulating David, who soon be the proud owner of a bunch of cigar T-shirts, hats, playing cards, cutters, and other memorabilia.
4) Inside the Industry: Florida-based retailer Smoke Inn is introducing its sixth installment of the MicroBlend Series, this time made by Room 101. The “Big Delicious” cigar will be a Torpedo (6.25 x 42-54) with a shaggy foot and will retail for $8.95. The binder/filler tobaccos from Brazil, Honduras, Nicaragua, and the Dominican Republic will be adorned with a “very special and limited high grade” Habano 2000 wrapper.
5) Deal of the Week: A good ashtray is hard to find, and Drew Estate makes some of the best at their Subculture Studios. If you’re in the market for a new place to rest your ash, you’d be well advised to check these out.
photo credit: Civil Cigar Lounge