1 Feb 2013
As we have since July 2006, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other items of interest. Below is our latest Friday Sampler.
1) Cigars Direct, an online retailer based in Tampa, scored big when it brokered the sale of a 1,600-pound cigar to an undisclosed buyer outside the U.S. for $185,000. The 19-foot-long Gran Habano #5 El Gigante was owned by a Miami collector, according to the Tampa Tribune. The ring gauge is about 2,160 (3 feet) and 16,000 wrapper leaves were used, according to the paper. The headline: “How big is your humidor?” The buyer reportedly also bought 100 other high-end cigars costing $750 apiece.
2) We’re pleased to announce Chris G. of Pleasanton, California, as the winner of our latest giveaway. Chris’ entry was chosen by Ron “Jaws” Jaworski himself. He won two tickets to Jaws’ Super Bowl Cigar Party ($1,000 value), an event that took place last night at the Bourbon Vieux on Bourbon Street in New Orleans. We hope you had a great time, Chris!
3) Inside the Industry: Ortega Cigars has released its first three “Wild Bunch” cigars. Cusano Founder Mike Chiusano, now reunited with his brother at C&C Cigars, recently rolled out his new Loose Cannon line in two blends, one with an Indonesian Sumatra wrapper and one with a Dominican Habano wrapper.
4) Around the Blogs: Cigar Fan fires up an Avo Heritage. Nice Tight Ash checks out the Nicaraguan Cigar Co. Condega Maduro. Cigar Brief smokes Headley Grange. Stogie Review reviews a Dunhill Aged 2003. Cigar Inspector inspects La Gloria Cubana Torpedo.
5) Deal of the Week: The Annual Cigar Family Charitable Foundation cigar pack supports the children of the Dominican Republic. This special and very limited $50 gift pack includes one special edition each of the Fuente Fuente Opus X Figurado and Julius Caesar by Diamond Crown Figurado.
photo credit: Cigars Direct