17 May 2013
As we have since July 2006, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other items of interest. Below is our latest Friday Sampler.
1) For the first time in its history, La Gloria Cubana is launching cigars with Nicaragua as the country of origin. The Dominican-based brand, made famous by Ernesto Perez-Carrillo for General Cigar, recently announced two expansions of its Serie R line. The first is called Serie R Black, which will feature an “audacious” Jalapa ligero wrapper around Nicaraguan tobaccos. Three thick sizes will be available and the retail price will be in the $7-8 range. Details about the second new La Gloria Cubana blend won’t be released until June. According to Michael Giannini, General Cigar’s director of innovation, these blends are “meant to deliver the smoking experience of a well-aged, refined, and balanced Nicaraguan smoke, and we believe we’re delivering that in spades.”
2) Last week we told you about Kevin de León, a state senator in California who’s aiming to drastically increase the excise tax on premium cigars in order to fund “yet-to-be-specified health programs and causes.” Now Keith K. Park, CEO of Los Angeles-based Prometheus and a passionate advocate for cigar rights, is imploring Californian cigar consumers, tobacconists, distributors, and manufacturers to tell their state representatives to oppose the measure. If you live in the Golden State, make your voice heard via this action center.
3) SPECIAL UPDATE: To mark seven years of daily publishing—that’s right, seven years—StogieGuys.com is celebrating its anniversary by launching an unprecedented cigar giveaway from some of our favorite cigar makers. Details will follow shortly. For now, though, make sure you’re signed up for our free email newsletter so you’re eligible to win these unforgettable prizes. And check back to StogieGuys.com often for the commencement of our giveaways. This is gonna be huge!
4) Inside the Industry: Pinar del Rio announced it is taking over distribution for Sean Williams’ El Primer Mundo lines. Ted’s Cigars is introducing the official Duck Commander cigar, which is licensed by the family at the center of the hit A&E show Duck Dynasty. CAO Hurricane, a cigar we first reported on last October, is finally shipping to selected retailers.
5) Around the Blogs: Cigar Fan smokes the CyB Robusto. Stogie Review reviews the Liga Privada Velvet Rat. Cigar Inspector inspects the Rocky Patel R4. Tiki Bar kicks back with an Eddie Ortega Wild Bunch Honest Abe. Stogie Fresh lights up the Juanitos Cigarros 4-19.
6) Deal of the Week: Pinar del Rio makes some great sticks at reasonable prices, and this special sampler is a perfect example. $34 gets you a dozen Pinar del Rio cigars (that’s under $3 per stick) including such highly rated smokes as four Small Batch cigars.
photo credit: General Cigar