2 Aug 2013
As we have since July 2006, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other items of interest. Below is our latest Friday Sampler.
1) Underscoring the uphill battle against anti-tobacco zealotry and cigar intolerance, a recent Gallup poll found an astonishing 22% of Americans would support a complete criminalization of tobacco. That number is up from 12% in 2007. Over half of those surveyed would support a total smoking ban for all public places. Gallup found nonwhites and less educated individuals to be more inclined to support tobacco restrictions. “No state has made smoking completely illegal, but this could be the next frontier,” concludes Gallup. “ A bill introduced in the Oregon state legislature this year would make cigarettes illegal to purchase without a doctor’s prescription (something a doctor is very unlikely to do), effectively banning them. While the bill never received a vote during the 2013 legislative session, such efforts may be more common in the future.”
2) The fifth annual Crush & Roll West is slated to take place September 6-7 at the Paso Robles Fairgrounds in California. The event is expected to attract hundreds with cigars, wine, craft beer, poker, and entertainment. Twenty cigar makers will be on hand representing Nicaragua, Honduras, Costa Rica, and the Dominican Republic. Ticket sales will help benefit the North County Women’s Shelter & Resource Center.
3) Inside the Industry: El Cedro is a new release launching this month with a series of events in New York City. The cigar is produced at Henke Kelner Jr’s Kelner Boutique Factory in the Dominican Republic. It has a Dominican wrapper and binder, with Dominican and Nicaraguan filler tobaccos. El Cedro comes in two sizes for $7-8: Robusto (5.5 x 50) and Corona Gorda (5.5 x 46).
4) Around the Blogs: Stogie Review reviews the Alec Bradley Filthy Hooligan. Cigar Inspector inspects the Rocky Patel Private Cellar. Tiki Bar kicks back with a La Palina El Laguito No. 5. Doc Stogie smokes the LFD Limitado V. Cigar Fan fires up El Suelo and Trocadero. Robby Ras checks out the San Lotano Oval Connecticut.
5) Deal of the Week: Looking for new releases from the recent IPCPR Trade Show? Our sponsors have you covered. Check out the offerings from Smoke Inn, Signal Cigars, Corona Cigar, Emerson’s Cigars, and Mike’s Cigars.
photo credit: Flickr