23 Aug 2013
As we have since July 2006, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other items of interest. Below is our latest Friday Sampler.
1) With Congress in the midst of a five-week vacation, the International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers Association (IPCPR) reminds us now is no time to be complacent—especially with the threat of FDA regulation of premium cigars looming large. In fact, with most senators and representatives back in their home districts, the summer recess is a good time to remind them of our rights to enjoy cigars, as well as all the jobs and small businesses endangered by government intrusion in the industry. IPCPR is reminding cigar enthusiasts and retailers that “hosting an event in your store is a memorable and effective way to engage your legislators.” They’ve published a helpful guide (PDF) to such events here. IPCPR is also promoting activism on social media and has even created a Twitter directory (PDF).
2) If you enjoy a glass of wine with your cigar, you’ll no doubt be interested in the American Wine Consumer Coalition’s evaluation of each state’s consumer friendliness. The report grades and ranks each state. Five got an A+, twelve failed. (And a tip of the cap to Wine Julia for pointing us to the study.)
3) Inside the Industry: One of the under-the-radar but more interesting developments from Altadis at the recent IPCPR Trade Show is Cedar Room Selection. According to Altadis, the line consist of “overruns, small batches, and test cigars from production that is leftover in the Tabacalera de Garcia cedar room.” Some have been aging as long as 10 years and limited qualities are being made available to retailers, with price dependent on the blend.
4) Contest Results: Please join me in congratulating David of Palm Bay, Florida, and Matt of St. Charles, Missouri. They were randomly selected to win our latest giveaway. Each will receive a box of La Gloria Cubana Gilded Age Toros, courtesy of Famous Smoke Shop. Thanks again to our friends at Famous. Best of luck to everyone else in our next contest, and be sure you’re registered for our free email newsletter to be eligible to win.
5) Deal of the Week: Corona Cigar has tweaked its Stogie Guys Sampler. $29.95 (normally $55) gets you an Avo Lounge, a Davidoff, plus five house blends from Corona Cigar. Plus you get free shipping on your entire order.
photo credit: Flickr