22 Nov 2013
As we have since July 2006, each Friday we’ll post a mixed bag of quick cigar news and other items of interest. Below is our latest Friday Sampler.
1) Our friends at Smoke Inn Cigars are hosting a toy drive to benefit the Kids Cancer Foundation, a Florida-based charity that provides a wide variety of support services for children diagnosed with cancer, and their families. All of us at StogieGuys.com encourage you to mail a new, unwrapped toy to the following address before Saturday, December 7: Smoke Inn Casa de Montecristo, Attn. Lady M., 1030 Gateway Blvd., Boynton Beach, Florida 33426. All those who do will receive one raffle ticket per gift donated, and have a chance to win one of six amazing prizes: a 48-count box of Liga Privada Parejos, a box of 2012 Tatuaje Little Monsters, a box of Room 101 Big Delicious, a box of Oktoberfest Dunkel, a 5-pack of Tatuaje Anarchy from 2010, and a Prometheus Ashtray. The grand prize is a 10-pack of 1999 Padrón Millenniums in a special box (value of $1,500). You do not have to be physically present to participate or claim your prize. Thank you for considering a donation to this important cause; your help can brighten this holiday season for a child in need of support.
2) While some cruise companies have become less friendly to smokers, others are emphasizing cigars with fancy cigar lounges and plenty of premium cigars available. USA Today lists the cigar smoking options on eight of the largest cruise companies. More than one company calls their cigar lounges “Churchills.”
3) Inside the Industry: The Oliva Tobacco Company, a grower that produces tobacco for some of the best-known cigar brands, has established a new farm in Ecuador to meet increasing demand for Ecuadorian Habano wrapper. The 325-acre operation is currently focused on Havana 2000 and Corojo plants. Oliva Tobacco is unrelated to the Oliva Cigar Company.
4) Around the Blogs: Cigar Inspector inspects the Hoyo de Monterrey Grand Epicure 2013 LE. Cigar Fan fires up a Cult Classic. Stogie Fresh smokes the San Lotano Oval Maduro. Stogie Review reviews the Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 2. Tiki Bar kicks back with a Havana Sunrise Reserve.
5) Deal of the Week: Let’s not kid ourselves. The Gobble Gobble Sampler is a bit of a crap-shoot, but odds look good you’re getting a good deal. Only $80 gets you 40 cigars (just $2 per stick). And while the specific cigars aren’t specified, the brands represented are all reputable: La Aurora, Alec Bradley, Camacho, Rocky Patel, Toraño, Padilla, Quesada, Cubao, Martin Cigar, Xikar HC, CAO, El Tiante, and Onyx.
photo credit: Smoke Inn